The House with Exterior Walls Exposed
Removing the siding took the better part of a whole day with the help of my friends and family. We didn't seem to encounter too many problems along the way, other than a few splinters and some waspers that got upset. Pulling off two layers of siding created quite a mess. This photo is actually a day or two later after the mess was cleaned up. It took four guys all day long to just pull the siding off. We had left a good portion of the siding laying where it fell. I remember finally having all the siding removed and then entering the house. Wow! From the inside of the house it looked as if I were standing inside an old barn. I could see day light slipping through each gap between the 1X12's that made up the exterior.
I was finally starting to feel better about the remodel project. I could see some sort of accomplishment and in the same sense exposed a whole lot of work to come.
Previously we had removed some old appliances from the basement as you can see. That stuff was later taken in to be recycled. I actually made out better by recycling since the local trash company wanted about $20.00 for each item to dispose.
- Wear gloves and safety glasses
- I recommend boots to work in
- Keep plenty of drinks on hand
- Above all else, Have a good time
It didn't take too long to fill this can. A lot of siding and other crap from inside the house made it in this trash can. The dumpster only remained on site for about 2 weeks. It took one weekend to fill it. Three hundred dollars later it was gone.
I'm not quite sure why I did what I did, but I might as well fess up. The new looking wood on the end of the house was my doings. See the original HERE. It was probably one of the first restructuring projects we accomplished on the house. In my mind I was just going to follow suit with the rest of the home and use 1X12's to cover the hole that the removed window left behind. Kind of a dumb mistake. After I had set the last nail, opened a beer and took a step back to admire the nice job we did, I realized I could have saved a lot of money using 3/4" OSB (oriented strand board) to accomplish the same task. Those 1X12's are not cheap. From then on we were using 3/4" OSB.